Market Development and Commercialization
Learn the essential marketing concepts and practical commercialization strategies to bring your new venture to market.
8-10 Hours per Week
Marketing innovative products and services occurs in an ever-changing environment, and requires rapid decision making with incomplete information. These innovations are introduced at increasingly frequent intervals, and there are high mortality rates for products and services, and the businesses themselves.
Our course provides a practical, how-to guide for navigating these marketing challenges to bring innovative new products and services to market. With learning modules on product strategy, go-to-market strategies, and growth strategies, you will build your skills in understanding and applying the latest marketing strategies and tactics. We’ll explore how to develop an informed marketing plan that aligns with customer needs based on real market research.
Learn the latest strategies for customer discovery, interviews and focus groups, product design, product development, content marketing, social media marketing, and marketing campaign management. The course will provide a balance between conceptual discussions based on readings of concepts and practices, and applied, hands-on analysis with real projects.
What You'll Learn
- Learn the fundamentals of product strategy with attention to product vision, user journey mapping, business modeling, SMART objectives, customer profiling, customers jobs, customer pains, customer gains, competition, and differentiators.
- Understand go to market strategies with an exploration of buyer journey, pricing, channel strategy, positioning, branding, and product-market fit.
- Develop insights on growth strategies as we explore inbound vs outbound marketing, types of media, pull marketing, push marketing, social media marketing, social media channels and content, budgeting, timing, content calendars, customer activation, landing pages, customer retention, email campaigns, and minimum viable products (MVPs).
Who Will Benefit
- Aspiring product managers working to develop their skills for entry into a product management role.
- Active product managers seeking to enhance their capabilities to be world-class product managers.
- Product designers, developers, and collaborators interested in improving their understanding product management.
- Educators, consultants, and organizational leads desiring to improve their capacity to teach, advise, or empower their constituencies in the product management area.
Module 1: Introduction to Market Development and Commercialization
This module includes a welcome to the course, an orientation to our teaching approach and faculty, and an introduction to the marketing challenges for new ventures.
Module 2: Customer Development and the Chasm
Revisiting the Customer Development Process. Highlights from the Customer Development Manifesto. What Startup Market Do You Fit In? How Market Types Affect Marketing Strategy.
Module 3: Crossing the Chasm to Mainstream Customers
The Basics of Crossing the Chasm. What Customer Problem Are You Solving? Segmenting the Market.
Module 4: Creating a Product Marketing Foundation
Linking Products to Buyers. Defining the “Whole” Product. Customer Value: Tying Benefits to Features. Pricing Your Solution.
Module 5: Communicating Product Value to Customers
What’s Your Brand? Positioning Your Startup and Product. Eight Rules to Build a Strong Market Position. Corporate Positioning.
Module 6: Promoting Your Product and Startup
Influencing Customers with Market Messengers. Adopting Traditional PR Approaches. Developing a PR Plan. Bootstrapping Your PR Efforts.
Module 7: The Basics of Creating Customer Demand
Understanding the Customer’s Buying Journey. Driving Customer Awareness and Interest. The Buyer Persona. Creating a Buyer Persona.
Module 8: Acquiring Customers with Content Marketing
Connecting with Story Telling. Building a Credible Story. Content Marketing and Storytelling. Delivering Content.
Module 9: Creating Customer Demand with Inbound Marketing Tools
Key Elements of Your Digital Marketing Strategy. The Basics of Lead Capture. The Basics of Search Engine Optimization. The Basics of Paid Search.
Module 10: Creating Customer Demand with Outbound Marketing Tools
The Drivers of Marketing Automation. What is Marketing Automation. Email Campaigns. Nurturing Prospects to Become Customers with Lead Scoring.
Module 11: Extending Your Sales Reach
Developing a Sales Strategy. Understanding How the Channel Food Chain Works. Building a Distribution Plan to Scale. Developing Distribution Pricing.
Coaching and Mentoring
Live Office Hours
Peer Interactions and Networking
Founder and CEO, Squarespace
Market Development and Commercialization
David Bosley is the co-founder and Chief Marketing Officer of PBJ Marketing, a full-service digital agency based in Washington, D.C. With an unwavering passion for driving client success, David spearheads the firm's digital strategy, SEO, and paid media efforts for domestic and international clients.
With over 16 years of digital marketing experience, David is a seasoned veteran who has successfully managed multi-million-dollar campaigns for companies worldwide. He is a strategic thinker who leverages the latest digital marketing techniques to help his clients achieve their business goals.
Before founding PBJ, David honed his skills at companies in the publishing and insurance industries, including AIG Insurance. His experience in different sectors has given him a unique perspective on how to create effective digital marketing strategies across a range of industries.
David earned his MBA from New York University’s Stern School of Business.